Who builds sled runners, must bend wood.
So you can turn wood
Not every kind of wood is suitable for bending. Some types of wood, such as oak, beech, ash and walnut, are more commonly used when it comes to produce runners or similar curved components.
- When bending of wood with a high tannin content, you must expect that discolour the wood.
- One important feature that you must consider when bending wood, the moisture content of wood used. Ideally, a moisture content between 20% and 30%.
- Some carpenters work with steam and treat dry wood before bending in a steam chamber. Who is going to the clamped into a mold timber must then allow to dry in the mold. Steam Bending requires a temperature of about 100 degrees Celsius.
- Since wood when it is bent, tends to its original shape an increase, you need to bend wood, a form in which to be bent wood is clamped. For this purpose, molds are commercially available. A corresponding device, but you can also build it yourself. There are both metal and wooden molds. Furthermore clamps required to secure the wood adequately and clamps.
- The thicker the wood, the more difficult it is to the bending. In addition, a smaller radius when bending more problematic than a big one.
Who has never bent wood, should definitely consult an expert, because experience can be very valuable here. Also, consider that the bending of wood requires a lot of time and patience.