Properly fertilized and maintained provides good rhubarb harvest.
In the known cultural or garden rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum) is a stem vegetables that have been grown in the 18th century from several varieties. The is self-forming stalks of rhubarb, are raw inedible and used to compote, jam or cake toppings. The leaves of the plant contain large amounts of oxalic acid and should not be eaten. Incidentally Rotstieliger rhubarb is milder and sweeter than grünstieliger.
fertilize rhubarb before harvest
To anticipate satisfied it right: Rhubarb is a very robust and harvest joyful plant that does not require a lot of care. However, if you fertilize them with tact, the bars are tasty and thick.
Nutrients you can give the rhubarb in the spring by organo-mineral fertilizers. In such a complete fertilizer, see botanicals along with minerals in balanced proportions. Purely organic vegetable fertilizer are recommended.
Sprinkle per rhubarb plant from a handful of fertilizer to the first shoots. Work very carefully into the upper layers of soil fertilizer. The rhubarb forms shallow roots, which must not be damaged.
If you have good compost available in early spring, so you can give in a layer over your rhubarb plants this also. Again: Avoid or incorporated flat.
Even nettle swill suitable for fertilizing for rhubarb. Put nettle section in a bucket or barrel several days into the water. Seven off the plants and dilute about one quart of liquid manure to ten liters of water. Pour. Dilution only on the ground, not on leaves of rhubarb and other plants
fertilize stem vegetables after harvest on stock
After harvesting, the plant will have to recover and gather strength for the next year. However, make sure that you make all fertilising measures immediately after harvest. In autumn the leaves wither and the plant withdraws into the soil. As a light winter protection the withered leaves may remain on the plant.
It is easiest if you mulch the soil under the plant with grass clippings or chopped plants waste is. Here is just after mowing grass one serving, which is chopped by the mower, distributed under the rhubarb leaves around the plant. Also good rotten leaves can be distributed.
Alternatively, you can distribute a little mature compost around the rhubarb plant. So the rhubarb receives nutrients and can grow powerfully. In the autumn may still be a layer mulch upset. To make simultaneously with the fertilizer facility above a long-term fertilizer, you can use the rhubarb with horn chips from the garden center provide good.
Care of rhubarb - Tips
Rhubarb requires little care. These tips will help to keep the plant healthy and productive:
- Keep the plant moist vegetables.
- Warm irrigating in spring promotes crop.
- Spare the first two years, so that a vigorous rhubarb plant can form the set rhubarb rhizomes or plants.
- Choose a deep, nutrient-rich soil and a sunny site.
- Break the inflorescences out immediately.
- Turn from mid-April (depending on location and weather) once a week thick stalks out.
- Harvest. Per season maximum of two thirds of the rods
- The plant needs to recover from the end of June.
- Date is like asparagus on Midsummer Day (June 24).
- End the Harvest, also because more oxalic acid has formed in the rods.
- Do not remove the leaves after harvest, they wither from the fall and may remain on the plant.
- Cover the plant in winter with some compost or straw from.
- You can promote an early bud break by placing a bucket or bowl over the rhizomes in early spring.
- Rhubarb can multiply by dividing the rhizome in the fall, use a spade.