Nurseries attract most plants only when hydro plants.
Important terms about Hydro Plants
They are confronted with this issue with concepts such as culture pot, water level indicator and substrate. This is meant by the expressions:
- A hydro plant is a normal plant, she was pulled in nutrient solution rather than in potting soil. Such plants form of slightly branched water roots. It is possible to upgrade older plants growing in nutrient solution. Plants growing young as hydro plants are less sensitive than older who were converted late of Earth on broth.
- As pot are any dense and opaque vessels. A special cultural pot only facilitates the maintenance of the plants. In these pots is a strainer to lift the plants with roots and substrate out of the water. This is required for cleaning the substrate. Through a holder in the operation of the water level indicator is vertical and extends to the bottom of the pot. This guards against casting defects.
- The substrate may be made of expanded clay, basalt, perlite (volcanic rock bellied), gravel or sand exist. Any inorganic and lime-free material is suitable. With air penetrated clay (expanded clay) is the most widespread. He soaks up the water fully, so the plants can absorb water in the higher layers of the vessel. Moreover, the material is easy.
- The hydro plants live exclusively on water and the fertilizer contained therein. The substrate gives them support and protect roots from light, otherwise it has no function. The fertilizer is tailored to the needs of the plants. This is important, since there is no organic compound, such as potting soil, is from which it supplied with nutrients.
Switch plants on hydroponics
Each plant is a hydro plant if it has formed water roots instead of the ground roots. Do you want to convert a plant that previously grew in the earth to hydroponics, follow these instructions before:
- Take the plant from the pot and gently remove with hands the potting soil from the roots.
- Wash the roots with lukewarm water. Be sure to rinse the smallest crumbs earth. Earth in hydroponic pot causing mold and rot. The plant may only in a pot with hydro substrate, when the roots are completely removed from the earth.
- Insert the water level indicator in the holder provided and fill the vessel to a quarter with expanded clay. Keep the plant in the middle of the pot. You should look so far over the edge of the vessel, as it towered above from the earth. Fill the pot to the top with substrate. Shake the pot in a light, so that the sound between the roots slides.
- Pour lukewarm water into the vessel until the water level indicator is set to "optimum". The plant care during the changeover, since ground roots are useless and they still do not have water roots. After a few weeks they recover most. From now fertilizing and watering is allowed until the maximum display. Plants, like a dragon tree, which have few roots, the changeover to cope quite well. A strongly rooted Schefflera has more problems with it.
grow plants for hydroponic
If you want to keep plants in the culture vessels later, you should breed from the beginning as hydro plants.
- Fill a culture pot with water level indicator with fine expanded clay. Sow in seed from or insert cuttings.
- Add water up to optimum brand, but no fertilizer. Wait until the plants begin to grow before you add fertilizer.
- Take the offspring from the vessels when three to four leaves have formed. The plants are strong enough to move to a coarser substrate.
Care of plants
Hydroponics is ideal for Raumbegrünung in offices and lobbies. It is also advantageous if you travel frequently and you have a problem, watering the plants regularly. The maintenance required is somewhat less than normal houseplants and temporally predictable. In addition to lower maintenance costs, these cultures have another advantage: In the vessels thrive hardly germs and fungi. Opt for hydro plants, if you have little time or mushrooms, or potting soil are allergic. Schedule this effort a:
- Check after every 14 days, whether the plants need water. Fertilize as needed. Fertilizer is usually needed only once a year. Some liquid fertilizers are required for every casting.
- Fill up to the optimum mark and pour only when the display is set to "minimum". If you go away for more than 14 days or in warm rooms, you can fill "maximum" up to the mark.
- Cut off discolored leaves. They fall down otherwise and rotting on the substrate. The organic material contaminated it. This can lead to mold and rot.
- Check the surface of the substrate every four weeks for foreign objects such as candy wrappers, cigarette butts or dead insects.
- Lift the plants with the use of once a year from the vessel. Pour off the water and clean the pot. Rinse the clay in the inserts, thoroughly with lukewarm water before you reset it and fill with new water.
Hydroponics is suitable for all plants. If you decide, if you have little time or no earth tolerated in your area. With proper care and if you pour too much water, there are no problems. In the pots get moldy or rotten nothing.