Pineapple with green leaf is suitable for propagation.
The genus pineapple includes not only plants with edible fruits. Some owe their cultivation in Germany rooms their decorative leaves.
Pineapple plants maintain - Culture Guide
Bromeliads are Erdbromelie. These thrive in loose, coarse potting well. However, they grow slowly. Fruits form some in the second growing year. Other pineapple varieties require up to six years.
- The pineapple plant reaches in nature a height of about 60 centimeters. Some will even six feet tall. The curved solid sheets are up to one meter long. A mature plant with a diameter of over one meter already some space.
- From the Middle hopper an approximately 30 cm long flower stalk grows out, which is formed from 200 to 350 bluish violet florets. To Fertilize it needs no second plant. A fruit formed without pollination. For houseplants also fruits are formed. Usually they are not edible.
- As tropical plant needs the pineapple bright light and the greatest possible daily sunlight in the morning or evening hours. In a bright place, the color of the leaves are strong. Ideal temperatures of more than 20 degrees Celsius. The humidity should be high.
Growing the plant
Most available supermarket edible pineapple is not particularly suitable for living rooms. The pineapple plant is simply too great. If you have a heated in winter greenhouse, you can harvest your own pineapples. No matter which plant you choose, propagating is simple and is usually successful.
- For vegetative propagation, you get a pineapple. Good it is, if it has fresh and juicy leaves.
- Cut with a knife the tuft of leaves with some of the flesh from. The flesh lollies carefully remove. The stem Shorten up under the first row of sheets.
- The brew let dry for two to three days to prevent rotting. Then it is placed in a vessel filled with water.
- Now you have to be a little patient. After some time, small roots will form. Now you can put the pineapple plant in a pot with a nutrient-poor substrate possible.
An increase is also possible by lateral shoots and seeds. The latter is in contrast to the proliferation difficult and protracted. Who wants to try it, place the seeds about 5 to 15 millimeters below the pericarp. Prefer one should large and ripe fruits. Until microbes may take several months.